Longfellow School Plaque Longfellow School

1500 Derby Street map it

Longfellow School (2010), photo R. Kehlmann
Longfellow School (2010), photo R. Kehlmann

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK
designated in 1995

Longfellow School

William C. Hays, Architect, 1922
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1930
John Reid, Jr., Architect, 1935
ELS/Elbasani & Logan Architects, 1998

As electric street car transportation improved and expanded in the early 20th-century, this section of Berkeley became a desirable residential area. In 1905 a wood frame school with four classrooms was moved to this site to meet the needs of a growing population. A larger brick-faced building was constructed in 1922 and enlarged in 1930. In the mid-1930s it was altered for earthquake safety. The Depression-era, Moderne-style school had spacious classrooms, fireplaces in the kindergarten and library, and a grand auditorium. After Longfellow became a middle school, the building was once again remodeled and a new building along California Street was added in 1999. The school was named for the American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807–1882).

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2000

Longfellow School front facade (2010), photo R. Kehlmann
Longfellow School front facade (2010), photo R. Kehlmann

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1868), photo Julia Margaret Cameron
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1868), photo Julia Margaret Cameron

Longfellow signature
Longfellow signature

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society